The Seychelles Tourism Academy is the only tourism college in Seychelles.
The Seychelles Tourism Academy takes its responsibility for ensuring the quality and reliability of its training programmes very seriously. As an Academy, we have an obligation to plan our courses of instruction carefully to respond to student needs. We constantly evaluate the effectiveness of each training programme in terms of the change it brings about in students and make improvements in those programmes in order to be more responsive to employer demand. We also aspire to increase the volume and range of provisions delivered to employers, hence addressing the needs of the labour market.
New plans are underway with the imminent construction of a new hi-tech, modern complex that will respond better to learner need and demand.
A Little History
The opening of the International Airport in 1972 provided the initial impetus to upgrade the standard of service and facilities in the growing number of hotels and catering establishments that were built in the wake of this major development.
In 1976 many innovations took place, and the doors of the school were opened to the public so that the students might gain hands-on experience. Thereafter, Seychellois were trained to teach succeeding generations of students. The first group of students following the first programme undertook practical studies in the industry, while the Ministry of Education employed those who wished to work at the school, studying under French instructors.
By January 1978, the trainees were ready to embark on final training at the Ecole Hoteliere de Paris as fully-fledged instructors. By December 1979, they were back and ready to start teaching.
Despite the relatively limited facilities of those days, many of those students who studied at the school between 1976 and 1982 have gone on to pursue careers overseas, or have successful businesses here in Seychelles.
Vision and Mission
The STA Vision
To be recognized as the leading hospitality and tourism training institute in the region, reputed for its programmes on offer and the quality of its graduates.
The Mission Statement
To train, develop and upgrade committed school leavers and tourism employees with the aim of ensuring a highly competent tourism workforce in order to enhance the country’s overall competitiveness towards the achievement of sustainable tourism development.
- Improve the quality and standards of training offered to pre-service students and in-service personnel from the Tourism industry;
- Provide professional development and training opportunities for all staff in order to improve the quality and standards with respect to their present and future roles and responsibilities at the academy;
- Motivate and retain all staff through mutual trust and respect, the availability of opportunities and incentives for professional development, learning and career advancement;
- Upgrade facilities and infrastructure at the academy in alignment with the academy’s mission and vision, international norms and standards and taking into account the present and future needs of the Seychelles tourism industry;
- Liaise with and gain the support of all partners including the Seychelles government through the Ministry of Tourism and the Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) and the private sector in support of the academy’s mission, vision and strategic goals;
- Ensure that funds and other resources made available through the annual budget and other sources are effectively and sustainably managed in support of the academy’s mission, vision and strategic goals;
- Diversify and expand the range of pre-service and in-service training programmes offered at the academy through collaborative efforts and sustained partnerships with the academy’s local and international partners;
- Attract and offer international students pre-service and in-service training opportunities at the academy;
- Establish strong partnerships with the community and engage with them in activities and initiatives for the overall advancement of tourism in Seychelles and;
- Develop an organisational structure and culture that will be empowered to drive quality growth towards a more sustainable future for the academy.
Excellence: We strive to meet the highest standards of the tourism and hospitality industry. We are committed to improving the range of programmes on offer, the quality of our staff and graduates as well the standards of service offered to our clients.
Ethics: We are committed to the highest standards of respect, honesty, accountability and professionalism. We expect the conduct of our staff and students to be based on mutual trust and respect and driven by the highest ethical standards.
Teamwork: We value teamwork as an integral approach in bringing together a range of talents for informed decision-making and collaborative action. We believe in the sharing of knowledge and experience and supporting our staff and students to reach their full potential.
Service: We are committed to offering the highest standards of service to our staff, students and clients. In doing so, we aim to sell the academy as the training institution of choice for prospective students and sell Seychelles as the destination of choice for prospective clients.
Diversity: We embrace the diversity of staff and students and value their necessity in the creation of an environment that is safe, supportive and welcoming. We also strive for diversity in our curriculum and service on offer to our clients.
Growth: We are committed to fostering the personal and professional growth of staff and students by promoting lifelong learning and leadership development in all our endeavours.
Partnerships: We work with local and international partners in the tourism and hospitality industry to improve the quality of training and service we offer to students and clients. We value their contribution in helping the Academy achieve its vision, mission and strategic goals.
Programmes taught in:
- English (US)