The first four community colleges in Kansas were established in 1919, and GCCC is one of two from that group which still exist. It was created by county-wide election on April 1, 1919, and opened in September of the same year.
GCCC initially shared facilities in Sabine Hall and Calkins Hall in the 100 block of Buffalo Jones Avenue with Garden City High School and opened with the first class of less than three dozen students. The first graduate, Mildred Hope of Garden City, earned her degree in the spring of 1920.
The college moved to the then-new Garden City High School building in 1954, and first occupied a campus of its own in 1958 on the property where Buffalo Jones Elementary School is located.
67846 Garden City, Kansas, USA